Kőröshegy lies in a valley only 3 km away form the southern shore of the Balaton. The neighbouring village of Balatonföldvár and Szántód.
Archaeological finds attest that this area was inhabited from prehistoric times. First mentioned in a document in 1082.
Kőröshegy was a market town at the end of the Middle Ages.
After the expulsion of the Turks in the 17th century the area became the property of the Széchényi family. The family played a significant role in the rebuilding of the village after the Turkish devastation.
In 1862 a huge fire destroyed the village, which burned down 43 houses, and the Protestant church tower, but only in eight years they rebuilt everything.
The Roman Catholic church was built in Gothic style in the second half of the XV. century. The church was renovated several times (1906, 1969-1970), most recently in 2002.
The Reformed church was built in the early XVII. century, but the Turks destroyed and burned down when they left the village. It is still standing because the villagers rebuilt it between 1813 and 1818. It was recently renovated in 2004.
The Széchenyi castle is built by Széchenyi György around 1680. in a late-baroque style. The most famous resident was the hunter-writer Zsigmond Széchenyi, he lived in the mansion for eight years between 1923 and 1931. Currently it is privately owned and not open to visitors.
The hungarian folk style farmhouses tend to preserve the authentic atmospere of the village. They can be seen in the Petőfi street and the Kossuth Lajos street. They most attractive parts are the whitewashed gables, thatched roofs and arched porches.
Today the village is reputed by it's grape fields and relishable wines.